- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package thawed and drained frozen spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Boil lasagna noodles 6 to 8 minutes until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Lay noodles flat and remove excess water with a paper towel.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook until there is no remaining pink color in beef. Drain any liquids add tomato sauce and spinach and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together ricotta and cottage cheese and egg. Mix until well blended and then mix with the meat mixture. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Add a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add a layer of noodles (3 noodles per layer). Pour in a generous layer of ricotta mixture on top of noodles. Top ricotta layer with several basil leaves and another layer of meat mixture and a thin layer of mozzarella cheese. Add another layer of noodles lengthwise. Repeat layering until ingredients are gone. On the top of the last layer use a thin layer of meat mixture and top generously with cheese.
- Cover Lasagna with foil for first 20 minutes of baking so it doesn’t get too brown. Bake in a preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes.
Serve with warm garlic bread…easy and delicious!!